Friday, December 30, 2016

The Blue Castle





My favorite book by LM Montgomery is The Blue Castle.  Partly because I immigrated from Canada when I was four and only remember seeing snow, and my grandfather's house, and the frozen over lake.  
And of course, a character created by LM Montgomery is finally refreshingly modern and sassy.  Man, I get tired of these washed out characters such as Kilmeny, and Marigold(you are probably shocked to hear me say a six-year-old heroine is bland but that is my own opinion of the matter, forgive me).
On the other hand, The Blue Castle is literally the goods !  Valancy Stirling, an old maid at 29, tired of being quashed under the tyranical rule of her mother, decides to see the doctor about her occasional 'attacks'.  A doctor not respected by her family.  She receives a letter from same doctor that she has a rare heart disease and there is no hope of recovery.  At that moment she makes the decision to live the rest of her life as a carefree young woman, much to the shock of her overbearing family.  
And so in this way she discovers a world of love and beauty...





No comments:

Post a Comment