Saturday, December 3, 2016

Wonders of Wonders

Its that time of year again! This is the first installment of the December series, Wonders of Wonders.
Trini Goff resides in Keizer with her younger siblings. She is an aspiring writer, reader and sophomore.


The Sudden Disclosure

The old man sat alone in the study. Firelight flickered off the walls and ceiling, casting grotesque shadows that lengthened as the fire died. He was waiting for something that always made him happy, something that happened once a day, something that no one could have but him. He was waiting for thoughts from the King of Faery.
After a while, in which the fire got lower and lower, one came to him.
“I am walking down a corridor”, he thought. “What am I doing? Ah, I see now. I am walking swiftly away from something I do not want. Kingship!” he thought suddenly and inexplicably. “But no, that is not right. That makes no sense. Imagination. That is what I am fleeing. I come to a door. What am I seeing? More than I want.” the dream changed. “Now I am talking to a king. The king of the Faery? But he is different than this.” Then a myriad of images flitted quickly past him, but imprinting themselves indelibly into his mind. And it was his life he was reliving. And suddenly, with a blinding flash of recognition, he realised how much he had been lying to himself, how much he had been deceived by his own thoughts.

“I have lived a long life”, he told his curly-haired grandson later on. “And during it I believed everything I made up.”
“You must have been very stupid, Grandpa!” said the little boy unthinkingly.
“Oh no, not stupid,” said the old man, smiling. “Only misinformed.”

The Faery king smiled to himself, unseen, in the darkness. He had succeeded.


There is still time and space for your stories, thoughts, jokes etc on this blog! The series will go on till Boxing Day 2016 so keep on thinking. Thank you Trini for your mysterious and alluring story and for the time you put into it.

2 comments: