Friday, December 30, 2016

Joyeux Noël!

Merry Christmas!


Esther, Avila, Joe, Abe, Eph, Zachery




A long time, a different era passed since Josiah and me at eight years sang at Christmas Eve mass with the school children's choir.  Josiah has different and less joyous memories of the time than I have.  I was probably thinking mostly of my new hat and dress, and my pretty shoes.  Not to mention the sock monkey.    
I remember that Christmas so well!  The remembrance of Josiah's green face as we sang Go tell it on the Mountain, the feel of my black dress, the red rose pinned on my cardigan, being the only girl wearing a hat, and being a bit disappointed over the fact we were not going to sing in the choir loft.

That Christmas, Esther was three months old, we had never imagined Abel, and were living in a beautiful house in Salem on 2 acres.
This Christmas, we are living in the small, two-bedroom rectory in Sheridan.  We are very cozy, with a fat Christmas tree drying up in the living room.  Our window is peppered with snowflakes, our bookshelf is double stacked in parts, our couch is never empty, unless of course, Josiah is working with Dad.

This year I had drawn a blank on homemade gifts.   I'm too lazy, and the genie of creativity rarely speaks unless intimidated.  And so shopping at Goodwill brought gifts of old games from the early 1900s and later, cribbage, chess, checkers, Groove Move, Clue, puzzles(NO Thomas Kinkade!) and of course the old favorite, Connect-Four.

And the genie of creativity has spoken at last, for I was presented with a sock loom, circular knitting needles, yarn drum, and purple grips for crochet needles.
And yesterday, a trip to the library brought books on the fine art of Crochet.
I am ready to not only knit socks for every member of the family, but also I am ready to start anew in the Year of 2017.

Bless you!


P.S.  Josiah would like me to mention that in the first photo, he was not pinching Abel, he was holding him still(Psst! Same thing!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment