Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Doll From Okamoto Usaburo


Gua, a gumma doll

Her stamp, or seal. 

I found this small doll at Goodwill in February of 2016.  I could not make out the stamp as I do not know Japanese script but upon receiving a book about Kokeshi, I found out that my doll(Gua)was made by the kokeshi master, Okamoto Usaburo.  On further investigation, I could not find any Gumma doll of this make anywhere so I am convinced that perhaps I have in my possession a rare Gumma doll.  This was rather surprising because I had no inkling whatsoever that these dolls are in high demand by Kokeshi collectors from all over the world!   

Born in 1917 in Shinto, Gunma Prefecture.
Okamota Usaburo started the art of Kokeshi in 1950. 
Acquired many awards for his creative design of the kokechi doll. 
Died in 2009 at the age of 91. 

5 comments:

  1. I know! The doll only cost me two dollars. Never underestimate thrift stores. You may find something worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the magic touch at thrift stores. I am going to really look a lot better. Great find.

    ReplyDelete