Thursday, October 20, 2016

Loss of Syllables


Haiku By Avid

The moon shines brightly
Up over the lake's mirror.
I shall dream moonbeams.

Orange golden rod
Like a mermans shining fork
Under the dark sea.

Follow my secret
Do not tell a single soul.
That includes the Fox!

I ride the blue sky
Over the darkened forest
My bike is my bird.



You have to congratulate me for posting this because I was fearful for my reputation as winning 2nd place at the State Fair for Poetry. Haiku is difficult because you want to describe something as wonderfully as you can and yet only 17 syllables in all to concoct an original haiku. The last one is a bit lumpy.
Haiku consists of first line: five syllables, second line: 7 syllables, and third line: 5 syllables. Usually the first line incorporates the subject. For example, the subject of the first haiku is the moon. Haiku is the Japanese form of poetry. Traditional haiku will include the kigo, or season word. Most haikus will mention nature or natures illusions. Haiku is all about the present moment, a subject that inspired you seconded ago. This is the beauty of Haiku and what makes it original.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Avid !!! Very good !!!

    From the magazine "Gilbert" I receive from the American Chesterton Society - they regularly publish short poems they call Clerihews". A clerihew is defined as a humorous, unmetrical, biographical verse of four short lines - two closed couplets - with the first line a play on the name of the subject. Here's an example:

    Mrs. Clinton
    Does not lack ambition
    To the White House or prison
    she'll be sent
    Either way, you and I will pay
    her rent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing. Was that your favorite clerihew, Gramps?

    ReplyDelete