Monday, February 16, 2015

Valentine's Past, Mardi Gras, Now Lent?

I cannot believe that Ash Wednesday's in two more days! Lent is upon us, easter bunnies are pervading the aisle's already, we are all in shock. I had my 2nd gum operation on the 11th so Valentine's Day was a meager affair in my case. So I am saving my stash of Valentine goodies for a rich and toothsome Mardi Gras.

But as Catholics we do not celebrate Mardi Gras with the masks, and necklaces. We celebrate with leftover Valentine Candies, preparations for Ash Wednesday, taking down of the enjoyable christmas decor, and replacing it with purple tablecloths and lenten reminders. We are also getting ready for a 40 day fast from daily pleasures that haunt us the rest of the year.

It is a time of discipline really. We are emptying ourselves of luxuries, those little things help Jesus hold up the cross and it lifts our sacks of burdens back on our shoulders and determines us to go the extra mile.

OK, back to the subject of Mardi Gras. There are other names that describes this day better then elaborate Mardi Gras. (That word makes me think of old time minstrel shows) We have Shrove Tuesday, which is a bit on the mild side, the more fitting name is Fat Tuesday for we are feasting on pastimes which are out of the question for Lent.

Our tradition for this last day of fun is sometimes Pancakes for breakfast, and at night sundaes with mounds of candy on top, last time we made mountainous candy cupcakes. So in this way we are fattening up for a very thinning Lent.

The Newsy side: This year we made homemade Valentines for our friends and family, and so it was a very rich St. Valentines. We spent the afternoon in the pasture rolling about in the sweet grass, enjoying the sun and having a good old time. Mom and Dad went out and we watched Tigger's Big Movie.

And so I do think that we are ready for a good Lent as a Family.


4 comments:

  1. As I reread this post, I am putting it a bit hard on my dear followers. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lent is coming so fast this year! have a holy one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! (How do you like my professional Valentine's photo? I really enjoy photography,) I hope you have a good lent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking back I find that my latest blogpost is in a much more different style than this one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete